Property Law Tag

Hammond Pole Attorneys > Posts tagged "Property Law"

Finance Linked Individual Subsidy Programme (FLISP) – What you need to know.

The Finance Linked Individual Subsidy Programme (FLISP) was developed by the Department of Human Settlements to enable affordable home ownership opportunities for South Africans. What are the requirements to apply for a FLISP subsidy? 1. You must be a South African citizen with a valid ID; or permanent residents with a valid permit. 2. Applicants must be over 18 years of age and competent to enter a legal contract. 3. FLISP is open to individuals who have never benefited from a Government Housing Subsidy Scheme before. 4. Applicants must have an ‘Approval in Principle’ of a home loan from an accredited South African financial institution. 5....

Continue reading

My father has passed away and I have inherited his property

A Blog article by: Tania Abbotts    My father has passed away and I have inherited his property – I am struggling to evict the current tenants – is it possible to evict before it has been transferred into my name? Would a letter of executorship be relevant in this situation? What about notice in terms of the rental agreement?    If a person passes away and has a last will and testament, then as legal practitioners, we administer the estate as per the directions set out in the last will and testament. This means that the deceased would have elected who would be...

Continue reading

Conveyancing fees – what are you paying for

Blog article by: Michelle Orsmond    Purchasing your dream home is one of the most significant investments you will ever make. However, first-time buyers are not always fully aware of the costs associated with purchasing a home and what the services they are paying for entail.   The conveyancing services that a firm typically offers, includes the preparation and gathering of all documents required to finalise the registration of a sale once it is lodged with the Deeds office.   But not all property transactions are the same - each one carries its own delays and challenges, and a conveyancer needs to assist both the seller...

Continue reading

Is there ever grounds to cancel an offer to purchase?

Blog article by: Neil Mc Kinon Signing an offer to purchase is an exciting time for any buyer. The freedom of owning one’s own property or the thrill of a new investment is a major drawcard for property buyers. But signing an offer to purchase can also come with some buyer’s remorse and the question most often asked is “can I get out of the agreement once I’ve signed?” The answer complex, but in short, no. The terms and conditions in an offer to purchase are designed to protect both the buyer and the seller and prevent either party from unilaterally changing their mind...

Continue reading

The property I bought has since been damaged, what happens now?

A blog article by: Neil Mc Kinon It’s a nightmare scenario for any buyer: “We are in the process of buying a property in KZN. We have signed the transfer documents from the transferring attorney but not the home loan documents from the home loan attorney. We have NOT occupied the property yet. The house has been damaged significantly by the recent floods. We are not confident that the owner will pay for the damages even though the deed has not been lodged with the Deed’s Office. We won't be able to afford to fix the damages ourselves. If we decide...

Continue reading

You’re almost an official homeowner. Here’s a closer look at what happens at the Deeds Office

A blog article by: Brendan Michie  The Deeds Office is responsible for the registration, management, and maintenance of the property registry of South Africa and is responsible for the accurate examination, registration and record-keeping of all property transactions.  It currently takes between 7 and 21 working days for a property to be registered at the Deeds Office.     But what actually happens at the Deeds Office?   In a nutshell, the Deeds Office procedure for registration follows several steps. A deed is examined on both a junior and senior level before arriving at the desk of a senior registrar who confirms whether the deed is passed...

Continue reading

Pains and gains of buying a house: A nightmare scenario

Buying a new home is an exciting, if not daunting, experience, but excitement can quickly turn into disappointment if certain defects of your new home become apparent after you move in. When your dream home becomes a nightmare, what can you do? Legal expert from Hammond Pole, Michelle Orsmond, looks at this nightmare scenario and shares her advice on how to deal with it.  Scenario  You bought a house, and a certificate of compliance (CoC) was provided. However, after moving into the house, you discover that the gas geyser is not working, and there are other issues, including a leaking roof. How...

Continue reading

How the new Property Practitioners Act (PPA) affects you

Property Practitioners Act

The Property Practitioners Act (PPA) officially came into effect on 1 February 2022. It’s an important piece of legislation designed to protect consumers in the property industry. Here’s everything you need to know about the PPA:   In a nutshell, what is the Property Practitioners Act (PPA) all about?  The legislation is a continuation of the former Estate Agencies Affairs Act and the Estate Agent Fidelity Fund. It touches on transformation in the property sector and the regulation of estate agents, also known as property practitioners.    Who counts as a property practitioner?   The new law goes beyond traditional estate agents and includes managing agents, property developers,...

Continue reading

Donating Property – Know The Law

donating property blog

When deciding about donating property to a family member, it is important to take into account the financial implications as well as understanding the transaction at hand. What classifies as a property donation? Let’s first understand the definition of a donation. This is any gratuitous disposal of property including any gratuitous waiver or renunciation of a right. There needs to be an offer to donate, by the person giving the donation (the donor). The offer will then need to be accepted by the person receiving the donation (the donee). The agreement for a donation must be in writing (when it relates to...

Continue reading

Foreign & Customary Marriages and the implication on the South African Property Law


Hammond Pole Attorney, Neill Mc Kinon tells us more about Foreign & Customary Marriages, and the implications thereof when it comes to conveyancing. Marriage in South Africa whether religious or by way of civil union comes with a set of consequences applicable to the transfer of immovable property. The same can be said about foreign and customary marriages. Firstly, whilst foreigners living in South Africa are entitled to own property, the consequences of a foreign marriage must always be taken into account when acquiring and disposing of immovable property. When it comes to dealing with married persons in South Africa, the Marriage Act...

Continue reading
google amca seni sikerrrrr